At Good Stock, we love options. Because sometimes we just can't make up our mind. There might be too many choices, or we're just not sure what the mood is going to call for. So we love it when we have something that works in a variety of ways, any time of day or night. Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup is just such a thing.
This wonderful soup hits the no matter which meal you use break it out. Tired of the same old smoothies for breakfast? Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup. Need a refreshing lunch on a hot day? Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup. Looking for the perfect starter for that dinner you're grilling later? Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup. In between meals and need a super easy snack? Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup. It's time for dessert and you want to indulge but with a bit more healthy in mind? Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup, and vanilla ice cream.
Here is our recipe for Chilled Strawberry & Rhubarb Soup that we served in our shops. It does require a little work, but is so worth it, and is actually quick to make. On that note, this cooking process is very fast, so it’s important to have all ingredients ready before you start to cook.
CHILLED STRAWBERRY & RHUBARB SOUP
Yields 2 Quarts
1lb Strawberries cleaned sliced in half
1lb Rhubarb sliced in half-inch pieces
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
1.5 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tsp Honey, Agave Nectar, or Sugar
2c Ice Cubes
1. Heat a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium high heat for 3 minutes.
2. While the pan is heating, combine the water, salt, pepper, vinegar, and agave. Place the strawberries in a large heat-proof bowl, or a clean pot.
3. Add olive oil and rhubarb to the pan and roast until the rhubarb gets a little color, stirring a couple of times but not too much. At the very point the rhubarb starts to breakdown, add the water mixture.
4. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to medium low and simmer until the rhubarb is tender. This should take about 5 minutes.
5. Pour the hot rhubarb soup over the strawberries, stir, and allow the strawberries to poach for 2 minutes. Then pour ice into the soup and stir.
6. When cool, blend and slowly pour in the last tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until the soup is completely pureed.
We love to garnish this with torn mint and Black Pepper Crème Fraîche, as black pepper is an ingredient that works so well with the flavor of strawberries. You can make it by stirring 1 teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper with 2 tablespoons of crème fraîche.
Here’s insight into one of our favorite techniques.
Simply stated, there seems to be no evidence that a diet low in sodium improves health. Said another way, salt is not bad for you.